Monday, April 6, 2009

Assignment #9

Seldman, Neil. Investing in zero waste ... and green jobs. BioCycle v. 50 no. 1 (January 2009) :46
The author, Neil Seldman, the cofounder and president of the Local Institute for Local Self-Reliance, talks about the problems of industrial waste and the severity of the effects that it has on our environment. While some companies just produce waste, others produce waste and seek to transform these wastes into renewable resources such as top soil for agricultural purposes. Evidently most of these companies are willing to work with other organizations to produce a better waste management plan and in the end work towards a zero waste industrial process.

Eweres, Justin. Keeping the Solar Dream Alive. U.S. News & World Report, 146(3) 2009, 21-2
The author, Justin Eweres, reports on a company, BrightSource, which has promising technology that will wean the US’s endless search for renewable resources by building solar power policies in Californian desserts. This alternative energy source is supposed to be comparable to burning fossil fuels. BrightSource which has already constructed their first 400-megawatt solar plant, called Ivanpah, will create enough electricity to power 140,000 homes. Not is this only the future but it seems very promising because of the progress that has been made over the years.

Wald, Matthew L. The Power of Renewables. Scientific American, Vol. 300, Issue 3, March 2009
The author, Matthew L. Wald, informs us that we have less than 7 percent usage of alternative and renewable energies. This statistic alone is staggering since we are heading into a an age where renewable energy is the talk of the town. Now that the price of wind powered and solar energy have declined over the years there is a good opportunity to utilize its renewable capabilities and implement it into our daily lives.


The sources that I have found have given me more hope because I thought that I would fail utterly in my search to find something useful and promising in my research paper, but with these sources I have found them. Also this library search class that we recently took is very very very useful because I had no idea that there was such great resources before, especially on the net. My research questions may be in the this format: Has green renewable technologies really produced green collar jobs in America? I want this to be my topic because I have found many useful sources for this particular topic. I may want to even narrow my search down to be more specific but it is only a matter of time when I find more information that helps support my topic of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment