Monday, March 23, 2009

Assignment 7

To fufill this assignment, a thorough read of the sources that Nye uses in his book were vital to the understanding and completion of this assignment. The read was time consuming but in the end it was worth it because it was indeed an interesting read and it really helped shaped my paper. I really had to read through the chapter that I picked and see what Nye uses in his examples and then, thoroughly see if he is fairly quoting the full context and purpose of the book rather than just a sentence to get his point across. I found that Nye quoted the context of the books and sources that I used, but sometimes they were kind of plain on Nye's side in regards to detail and efficiency.

As for the online peer editing, it has always been the same to me because it's really up to the writer to carefully select and improvise their paper according to the comments that are made. I found that the comments were not "critical" enough sometimes, and they were just there for self-encouragement because nobody wants to be that person who is disliked by everyone. Other than that I think that online peer editing has a lot of potential to be helpful and beneficial to the writer. That is ofcourse that the right ways to critique are used.

I found that Nye uses multiple resources and he only has so much time to do this book. By the number sources he used and went through to obtain just "one" quote I think is hard enough. He may not have quoted accurately and fairly all the time but no one's perfect. He can't find that perfect quote that says it all, but I don't think in any of my sources, they had something that explained it all. Since Nye was answering multiple questions in a shorter book, I think that I would take the time to write several different books on each topic because there is simply too much information that is needed to make a good argument on let's say, the environmental problem. My sources have about 300 pages just on the environmental problem. So in short I believe that he is simply missing out on a lot of detail, no matter what he does in this sub 200 page book, it can't simply answer all the questions thoroughly and consistently.

No comments:

Post a Comment