Monday, February 9, 2009

Blog Assignment #2

"There was a sound like that of the gentle closing of a portal as big as the sky, the great door of heaven being closed softly. It was a grand AH-WHOOM. I opened my eyes-and all the sea was ice-nine. The moist green earth was a blue-white pearl. The sky darkened. Borasisi, the sun, became a sickly yellow ball, tiny, and cruel. The sky was filled with worms. The worms were tornadoes."

The aftermath of the accidental mishandling of the ice-nine into the ocean has had a devastating tole on the Earth and Life. Vonnegut's purpose of showing the aftermath of the traumatic event is that there is a high level of stupidity in this world and lots of it too. Also, I think I think he is trying to say that if you mix stupidity along with such an advanced level of technology in the hands of amateurs like the Hoenikker children, there is a high chance of death. Thus causing the world to be covered in ice and man eating tornadoes to ravage the world around! Well, if it were up to me, and I happened to have a piece of this ice-nine. I'd honestly be much much more careful with it instead of having it in a capsule around my neck. Just imagine all the catastrophes that could happen. If I accidentally dropped it into any water source that would mean eternal doom for everyone because all water sources are connected one way or another even if it's underground.

I believe that what Vonnegut has to say true to a point because if something this sensitive is put out like this, it will most likely pose a huge problem for mankind. Not to offend anyone, but there are people who are not capable to handle this type of technology especially the Hoenikker children. Plus Felix was irresponsible in the first place to leave something such as this to his children and not cleaning up his mess before he died. He maybe the creator of the atom bomb and ice-nine but what is the purpose if his creation isn't put to proper use. When you create something you have to make sure that it's purpose is the same as what you intended it for when you first thought of that invention. Again, we all know that Felix was indeed a very intellectual man, but he had no emotions, no sense from right and wrong in a way, and almost zombie like with one purpose in mind: to mess around with things, thus creating the atom bomb and ice-nine.

Personally I only to a certain extent with what Vonnegut has to say. I agree with the idea that unqualified people with certain technologies are bad, but Vonnegut throws this idea out there that technology is BAD! Humans + Technology usually ends up in catastrophe. For the most part after reading his book that is what I believe he is trying to get at and that is his opinion. I believe that technology does have its drawbacks when it's in the wrong hands, but we can't say that technology is always bad because if it was we'd be in a huge mess right now. I mean, technology is what helped us get through everyday life more conveniently and comfortably. Without it we'd still be cavemen with flint rocks and wood. Therefore, I only agree with the stupidity part of what Vonnegut is saying but disagree with the whole technology is bad because technology is indeed good for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment